If you have a small child or baby at home, it’s important to monitor when their teeth erupt and maintain good oral hygiene. How long should you wait until you take them to their first dental visit? As soon as 6 months to a year after their teeth have erupted from the gums.
Children’s baby teeth serve as a temporary placeholder for their adult teeth. It’s important to note that just because the baby teeth are temporary does not mean that their purpose is crucial.
What is the importance of maintaining baby teeth?
- Baby teeth play a crucial role in a child’s social and physical development. The growth of their teeth allows them to smile, speak and chew.
- Baby teeth are susceptible to decay. Much like adult teeth, neglecting oral hygiene especially for infants can lead to decay as soon as they abrupt from the gums. A prime example is baby bottle decay where there is decay on the baby’s front teeth due to excessive contact with sugar. FOr instance, children being sent to bed with a bottle.
- Baby teeth are placeholders for adult teeth. If baby teeth are removed too early, this can result in the adult teeth shifting or growing in crooked.
What should I expect at my child’s first visit to the dentist?
- Our friendly assistants will walk you and the child to the chair. We have TVs that we can turn on to your child’s favorite show and help put them at ease.
- The assistant will then take any x-rays required by the dentist to perform her evaluation.
- Our friendly dentist will perform her oral evaluation and go over any treatment that the child may need with the guardian.
- Depending on how receptive the child is, treatment would be performed or the child may be referred out to a pediatric dentist for a more comfortable experience for the child.
At Ridge Commons Family Dentistry, we treat you as you are our family. This means that we cater to each of our patient’s unique needs, especially our young patients. Our staff is well trained and patient with children. If you would like to schedule an appointment or have any questions, please call us at 972-972-8782.
WE ARE LOCATED IN MCKINNEY, TX.